The history of Residence Diana
How the "Pension Tannheim" becomes "Residence Diana"
How Pension Tannheim became Residence Diana
During the time of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Merano became more and more important as a spa town due to its pure air. Its popularity was also down to Empress Sissi who often came to Merano for its health benefits. As a result, the 1880s saw the construction of many new hotels and guesthouses. In 1882 our house was constructed in Belle Époque style by contractors Musch and Lun and was named Pension Tannheim.
During World War 2, the Minach family had to leave Fiume (Croatia) in 1942. They acquired Pension Tannheim and renamed it Diana.
In 1943 German armed forces seized the building to be used as a military hospital. In 1946, it began to operate as a hotel once again. In 1953 the building was extended to both the east and west sides and continued operating as a hotel until 1975. From 1975 until 2010 it was run as a bed and breakfast. Between 2011 and April 2012, the building was newly renovated and then reopened as Residence Diana. It is our intention to portray the building in a new light, whilst retaining the historic elements and offering our guests a temporary home during their stay in Merano.
The Minach Family
35 years ago the “Pension Tannheim“ was one of the first guest houses in the centre of Meran-Obermais.